Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bogey City

Day Two got off to another early start. However, on this morning, we woke up to a much quieter house. After eating a leisurely breakfast and lounging in the lanai for a bit, Justin, Jerry and I decided to head out for a few errands. Jerry needed to replace his fishing pole, which had mysteriously snapped a few days earlier. Justin and I went back to Total Wines to make our purchases after I had had a chance to compare the Buying Guide to my Wine Spectator list. It’s a Sunday morning, mind you, and the store opens at 9am! I guess people like their alcohol down there. In all, we left with 15 bottles of wine totaling about $210. Not bad, considering everything I bought had ratings of about 90+ points. That brings our total wine count (at home) to 40 bottles. We have some serious drinking to do over the next several months.

After a light lunch, we made our way to the clubhouse so we could tee off for a round of golf. Of the holes I did play, I had a small handful of decent shots. However, most of the time I either lost count of the strokes it took me to make it to the hole or I ended up picking up my ball. I think my best hole (and I only maybe played 8 of the 18) was a triple bogey, but I’m not even sure. Around hole 13 or so, we caught a glimpse of a gator in one of the lakes. On that same hole, I had a brief encounter with some fire ants as we were looking for one of Justin’s balls. Those things are not nice!

As everyone continued on, I spent the latter holes trying to catch lizards. I didn’t have much luck because they were pretty quick, but I ran over a few with the golf cart. Oops! Also, from about the 13th hole on, it was pretty evident that the afternoon storms were beginning to build. It seemed like thunder was coming from all directions. At the beginning of the 18th hole, it started to rain pretty steadily, but then it suddenly let up as soon as everyone had teed off. Still, the winds were whipping, the lightning was beginning to get closer, and we definitely wrapped it up just in the nick of time.

Once we got back to the condo, I laid down for a little bit. Then, it was pretty much time to head to dinner. On this evening, we kept it really casual and went to a local joint called the Alehouse. I had a salad with boneless wings on it and Justin had (surprise, surprise) hot wings. Then, when we got back, we all watched an episode of Planet Earth on DVD while attempting to keep Jerry from falling asleep. Justin wanted to watch another episode, but I think the rest of us were ready to follow Jerry into the land of dreams as well. So, off we went.

2 comments:

Darice said...

Glad you've got past your writers block. The Dad

Darice said...

Finally! The dads has been checking twice a day for an update! Hope I am nearby when you uncork a few bottles of wine!